Popiah can be healthy and delectable diet. You can innovate with the popiah filling to suit your preference.
- 600 g flour
- 1 tsp gluten-rich tapioca flour (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 200 ml water
- sift through the dry ingredients
- mix the rest of the ingredients
- knead the dough (sometimes rest the dough in water overnight helps)
- it should be a bouncy texture, and should stick to your hand
- Heat up wok without oil and make sure to use non-stick pan (easier)
- when the wok is hot, spread the dough around the wok in a thin layer
- size is approx 6 inches in diameter
- remove when cooked, 30 sec
other alternatives that uses egg will have slight changes in the popiah flavour that I’m accustomed to.
- 900 g icama thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot
- 2 to 4 pieces shitake mushroom, sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp dried shrimps (soaked in water to soften)
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- Pinch salt
- Dash of peper
- Heat wok with oil
- Saute dried shrimp until fragrant, then add in garlic.
- Add in jicama, carrot and mushroom. stir fry until softened.
- add in seasoning, e.g. light soy saue, oyster sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer
- Add water to prevent drying and continue to simmer until jicama is softened to taste. add seasoning if required.
-other ingredients to popiah
- fried eggs, sliced thinly
- sauces, e.g. cantonese sweet sauce (Tim cheong)
- chilli sauce (with garlic)
- chicken shreds (stir-fried and coated with soy sauce)
- Chinese sausage (lap cheung), sliced
Malt syrup is derived from concentrated pre-fermented germinated/malted barley wort (i.e. liquid extracted from mashing process).
- Sprout grain, e.g. barley
- Mash separation
- Wort boiling
- Flavoured with hops
- Sterilized before storage
Sprouting sweetens grains because of the breakdown of carbohydrate into smaller sugar molecules (nourichedkitchen.com).
Use of malt syrup or extract in beer brewing (beerandbrewing.com).
Challenges facing F&B entrepreneurs.
- 28% biz replaced yearly
- Average biz lose 8% to operation cost
- Average biz needs 30 months to break even on initial investment