- 300 g high protein flour
- 50 g flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp lukewarm water
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 250 ml water
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/8 tsp alum (pak fun)
- 1/8 ammonia powder (chow fun)
- 1 tsp salt
note: alum is K.Al(SO4)2.12H2O or NH4.Al(SO4)2 whereas ammonia powder is NH5CO3. Available from McCormick
- mix ingredient (A) with electric mixer.
- mix ingredient (B) and allow to froth, 10 min.
- combine ingredient (C) together
- Mix (B) into (A) well, followed by (C) and beat for 5 min until soft dough forms.
- Cover and leave aside to double in size.
- turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- roll out into a long rectangle, then cut into strips
- place two strips, one atop the other and allow to rest, 5 to 10 min
- heat wok with oil until hot. press lightly on the two strips of dough with a satay stick
- stretch the strips a little and lower into hot oil
- deep fry until puffy and golden brown
The recipe produces dish similar to hai Express Massaman curry.
- 1/2 to 1 pound (0.45 kg) chicken pieces or chopped chicken breast/thigh
- 1-2 medium potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 unit of 14 oz (or 400 ml) coconut milk
- 1 small red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1/3 cup onion, sliced
- 1 thumb-piece ginger, grated
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1 red chili, sliced or 1/2 to 3/4 tsp chilli flakes or other alternatives
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 stalk lemon grass, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1/4 cup, chopped unsalted roasted cashews
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp whole cumin seed
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/8 tsp cardamon
- 1 tsp tamarind, or substitute with lime
- 3/4 tsp shrimp paste (belacan)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp palm sugar or brown sugar
- heat wok
- add oil and saute onion, ginger, garlic and chilli
- stir until fragrant
- add the stock and the following: lemonglass, bay leaves, tumeric, chopped cashews, ground coriander, whole cumin seed, white pepper, cardamon, tamarind, shrimp paste, fish sauce, and sugar.
- Stir and bring to a light boil
- add in chicken, stir to coat with the spicy liquid, then add the coconut milk and potatoes
- stir and bring back up to a boil
- reduce heat to low, or just until a good simmer, 30-40 min or until chicken and potatoes are tender
- add red pepper and tomato last
- taste and season, i.e. fish sauce (salty), chilli (spicy), sugar (if too sour), tamarind (if too salty/sweet), coconut milk (if too spicy).
- Add cashew. Mix and serve.