Sweet sauce recipe here can be used as a base to make innovative flavours (see BBC roux recipe), e.g. fermented soy bean (tau cheong), honey, malt, plum, spicy (chilli) sauces/paste.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp fermented soy bean (tau cheong)
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 240 ml (or 1 cup) water
- heat oil in wok over low heat
- add in flour and stir to form roux (fat+flour cooked to thicken sauce)
- Prepare soy bean stock: add in fermented soy bean and sugar in water. Stir until assimilate.
- Add in the stock to roux and stir well to smoothen.
- taste and season: add in sugar and water to adjust taste and texture.
- strain the sauce with strainer to acquire smooth texture.
Roux basic white sauce (2)
- 40 g butter
- 40 g flour
- 290 ml milk or stock (for thick texture) or 450ml (for thin texture)
- melt butter in pan and add in flour
- stir until it form smooth paste, 2 min
- stir 1/5 of stock/milk into the paste and allow to boil, then start stirring until it form smooth blend
- add gradually the remaining of stock/milk, repeat the boiling and stirring to blend. This will produce consistent smooth texture.