- 300 g high protein flour
- 50 g flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp lukewarm water
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 250 ml water
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/8 tsp alum (pak fun)
- 1/8 ammonia powder (chow fun)
- 1 tsp salt
note: alum is K.Al(SO4)2.12H2O or NH4.Al(SO4)2 whereas ammonia powder is NH5CO3. Available from McCormick
- mix ingredient (A) with electric mixer.
- mix ingredient (B) and allow to froth, 10 min.
- combine ingredient (C) together
- Mix (B) into (A) well, followed by (C) and beat for 5 min until soft dough forms.
- Cover and leave aside to double in size.
- turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- roll out into a long rectangle, then cut into strips
- place two strips, one atop the other and allow to rest, 5 to 10 min
- heat wok with oil until hot. press lightly on the two strips of dough with a satay stick
- stretch the strips a little and lower into hot oil
- deep fry until puffy and golden brown