Tong Yuan is a must have recipe during the Northern winter solstice that falls around 22 Dec. It signifies family cohesiveness.
- A cup of glutinous rice flour
- 1/4 cup of warm or boiling water
- Add 1/4 cup warm or boiling water to the glutinous rice flour
- Knead until consistent and not sticky to hand
- If not enough water, add sparingly.
- If too sticky, add flour
- Pinch off a bit and roll into a ball
- Place it on a tray
- Prepare boiling water on a saucepan
- Throw in kneaded balls into boiling water
- Let it cook in boiling water
- Dongzhi is cooked when they are floating in water